Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The best of both worlds

For those of you who are still undecided about my two candidates (although only one of them actually contains dates), here is a compromise in the form of a raw yellow cream-filled cupcake with chocolate frosting. The two flavors are combined into one. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just all get along?

Anyway, I'm not going to let anything get my spirits down today. It's time to celebrate, but probably not for the same reason you are thinking. While many Americans will be sharing in the victory of their favorite candidate (don't forget to get out and vote; I already did), I'll be indulging in this cupcake in recognition of one full year of blogging.

Yes, that's right. It's my blog's 1-year anniversary, so whip up a few raw cupcakes in your kitchen and celebrate with me. You deserve it.

Thanks for inspiring me to keep this blog afloat. Without readers, these words would just be lost in cyberspace. You bring this text to life. I appreciate each and every one of you :-)

On a side note, I'm excited to announce that I've been invited to participate in a virtual book tour. My stop is scheduled a month from now. Stay tuned for more information.

But before I conclude this post, here is the recipe many of you requested. Sorry about the lack of measurements, but that's how I unbake in my raw kitchen. I guess you can say it's authentic that way.


Rawtess Cupcakes
2 cups nut flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4-1/2 cup date paste or leftover raw caramel
2-4 Tbsp. coconut milk
generous drizzles of agave nectar, to taste
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of sea salt
*a batch of raw whipped icing
*quick and easy chocolate icing

In a large bowl, combine the nut flour (a mixture of finely ground nuts of your choice combined with leftover nut pulp from making your favorite nut milk; I like using finely ground almonds, mixed with a little hazelnut and Brazil nut pulp), cocoa powder (use the raw cocoa powder if you can get it, which is not the same thing as just grinding up some cacao nibs) and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add about 1/4 cup of the date paste or raw caramel (I happened to have some leftover after making these raw caramel apples; usually its the other way around), 2 Tbsp. of the coconut milk (although any thickened nut milk will do; I bet Brazil nut milk would be lovely in this) and the vanilla. Whisk/mix, paying close attention to the consistency of the batter. Add agave to taste, and more of the date paste and coconut milk as needed. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Divide the batter into 3 sections to make life-size cupcakes (these are not the one-bite mini muffin kind), and remove a few pinches of dough from each one. Form the three sections into cupcake shapes, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center. Fill the cupcakes with raw whipped icing and top them of with the excess dough. Carefully blend in the seams.

Ice the cupcakes with a quick and easy chocolate icing (agave thickened with cocoa powder to reach the desired consistency). Allow to set in your refrigerator. Then, pipe a swirl across the top with more of the whipped icing (you can use a squeeze bottle or cut a hole in a Ziploc bag, if you don't own piping bags and tips). Enjoy every last bite :-)