Friday, November 7, 2008

That's the way the cookie crumbles

Next up on my rawified cupcake tour is a mirror image of the ones I baked (literally) for my son's birthday party a couple years ago. When he saw them in the book, he just had to have them topped with his favorite cookie (he takes after his mommy; it was my fave, too), as well as some Ben 10 characters.

Cupcakes are great for birthdays or anytime. They are the perfect serving size, which saves time on cake cutting. They also make it easy to mix up the flavor offerings, stack them into interesting displays and decorate them individually to spell out the birthday boy's name (J-A-C-O-B; I still remember the first time he proudly shouted out those letters to me).

These raw cupcakes look a lot like the Cookies 'N Cream Cupcakes my son picked out from the "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" book. They are chocolate with a whipped icing, which is speckled with cookie crumbs and topped with a rawified sandwich cookie.

I opted to apply the icing in the same form as in the book, but after viewing the photos, I thought it looked like mashed potatoes. That reminded me of a post my friend Heathy did on her blog recently. She had mock mashed potatoes styled like scoops of ice cream, while I ended up with icing that could pass for her "potatoes" :-)