Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A gingerbread kick


Oh how I adore gingerbread for its heartwarming flavor and spicy kick. After posting about my molasses drizzled n'ice cream the other day and featuring a gingerbread decorated mug in yesterday's pic, I have suddenly found myself on a gingerbread kick.

It's really no surprise, as it is the season. Two years ago, I was all about the raw gingerbread house, while the following Christmas, I gave the little ladies and ginger gents a new cupcake home.

Now, I've scrapped the construction process for a more "processed" version (meaning blended, rather than altered for an extended shelf life). This year's gingerbread taste (anything spiced with ginger and molasses seems to taste like gingerbread to me) is chilled in my n'ice cream, still thick at room temp in today's pudding and is even delicious warm in a mug of cocoa (just add a little Blackstrap molasses, cinnamon and ginger to your freshly made chocolate almond milk and gently warm).

I know I don't always discuss my food intake for the entire day, but I can tell you that I tend to "Thrive" on the recipes and philosophies found in Brendan Brazier's book of the same name. Although I blog about my sweet tooth (I do get a little crazy with the raw cupcakes sometimes, like these and these, and so many more), the majority of my meals are more nutritionally-based (I may not be a triathlete, but sometimes after breastfeeding all day, I feel like I've run a marathon).

In the past, I've mentioned being a huge fan of two of his puddings, the Chocolate Recovery Pudding from "Thrive" (I swap out the tofu for avocado) and the Recovery Pudding from "The Thrive Diet." I make different variations of these puddings all the time.

This time, I made a chocolate gingerbread version of the Recovery Pudding by swapping out the blueberries for mango (I still like to use an O-bloodtype favorable fruit; although Brendan and I are Os, we both opt not to eat meat, but still amp up the plant-based foods from the highly beneficial lists. It's a long story), removing the hemp protein/replacing it with more flax and cocoa (most of the time I tend to use cocoa instead of carob), and adding Blackstrap molasses, cinnamon and ginger. The results are quite tasty, if I do say so myself. Yum!