Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Beautiful Girls


I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy that movie (as well as its soundtrack), until I found myself surrounded by the flick's snow-covered backdrop (dude, where's my car?). The entire film takes place in a wintry wonderland, similar to the one at my house.

It is amazing how much snow we've had this year, and there is no end in sight. Even the groundhog wouldn't come out of hiding in fear of his shadow. I don't blame him with the more than 2 feet of the white stuff still piled up on our lawn and another foot or so in the forecast today into tomorrow.

I guess us girls (Hayden and myself) have an excuse to pamper ourselves while we are stuck at home. It's a good time to break out the facials and other spa treats.

Don't worry, as I have no plans of covering Hayden in any of this stuff. I also wouldn't think of putting a bunch of chemical concoctions all over myself either. Instead, I opt to use items from my kitchen to beautify us from the inside out, as well as on the surface.

For example, VegNews recently had a page dedicated to "Skin to D-I-Y For: Treat your body's largest organ to some concoctions that are good enough to eat - literally." The article first talked about toner options, like apple cider vinegar, green tea and strawberries (I happen to use apple cider vinegar, witch hazel and rose water on a regular basis to cleanse my face). It also discusses the exfoliating properties of pineapple, papaya and grapefruit (I like to use half a lemon coated in sugar to scrub my skin) and the moisturizing effects of avocados, coconut, olive, hemp and flaxseed oil (I'm a big fan of avocado and coconut).

Lastly, it mentioned the importance of eating for good skin. Make sure you consume the colors of the rainbow (I've been teaching Jacob to load up his plate that way), including foods that contain vitamins A, C and E, as well as your Bs and omega-3s.

I know I've been trying to eat more seasonally (which is evident by my overflowing kale supply in the fridge), but I have made some exceptions here and there to make sure I get a good variety of nutrients (and as an escape from the drab winter weather; I like to pretend it's already spring or summer). So, for a treat today, I made this kiwi-basil puree with chia. It's refreshing and packed with the yummy stuff I need to keep that sunny glow, even when its cloudy outside.

Here's how you make it:

Kiwi-BasilGelée
2 kiwi, peeled and diced
handful of fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp. of chia seeds

In a food processor, puree the kiwi and basil. Add to a small bowl and mix in the chia. Allow to set in the fridge. Garnish with kiwi slices and more basil, if desired.