Friday, March 23, 2012

My "kind" of egg

Things have been so busy around here lately, but somehow I managed to paint my kitchen and dining area on a whim. If you've seen our last two videos (our Dr. Robin for Kids review and a St. Patrick's Day blender battle), you may have noticed that it is blue now.

I've also been helping with the Easter eggs at my church. Every year, we make personalized chocolate-covered buttercream, peanut butter, coconut and chocolate eggs for sale to the public. My main task is to decorate and pipe the names on them.

Inspired by these chocolate eggs, I decided to make a look-a-like cupcake. This one is chocolate creme-filled, as I had enough leftover purple icing (it's the lavender blueberry "butterdream" from this Rawdorable Take on a Lavender and Orange Cupcake) to pipe a border on it.

At our church, we use a purple border to identify the chocolate eggs, pink for the buttercream, yellow for the peanut butter and blue for the coconut. It takes the guess work out of it for the customers and those packing up the orders.

I always recommend storing leftover "butterdream" in the freezer for later use. I hate wasting things and love having it available for spontaneous cupcake unbaking. Therefore, the remaining chocolate icing from this Dark Cocoa & Cashew Cupcake was just enough to fill today's egg-shaped cupcake (reusable silicone liners are flexible enough to form into an oval, or in this case, an egg).

Once I filled the center of the cupcake, I hid it beneath some more "cake" (like in my old Rawtess cupcake recipe, which is essentially the same recipe I used for today's Easter egg cupcake) and iced it with quick and easy chocolate icing (cocoa powder mixed with pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of your choice). Then, I decorated it with some other leftover naturally dyed "butterdream" from my freezer (the colors were made with green tea powder, freeze-dried strawberries and freeze-dried pineapple mixed with turmeric).


In the end, I thought it looked pretty cute, and being free of animal products, that's my "kind" of egg. I'll probably bring it with me today, as I continue to decorate the chocolate eggs at church. Hopefully, I'll be back home in time to watch Blythe Raw Live; I heard that my cupcakes will be included in the Top 7 Healthy Things for Easter this week (Thanks Blythe!). Maybe this will be the episode with Stephanie Sparkles, too :-)