Monday, March 16, 2015

Green Dream Sweet Potato Salad

It's been a while since I started this blog, so obviously, it has evolved (did anyone notice the new look?), along with my way of eating. I no longer strive for an almost all raw diet (although I eat that way the majority of the time), and therefore feel free to post the occasion cooked recipe, like today's Green Dream Sweet Potato Salad.

This recipe is the perfect way to enjoy sweet potatoes in the springtime (Spring is only a week away), served chilled with celery, peas and marinated artichoke hearts, coated in a tangy cashew mayo. The addition of the Philosophie Green Dream Vegan Protein and Superfood Powder amps up the nutrition and turns this salad a festive green hue for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.

To make this recipe, you'll need the following:
  • 2 large organic sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup organic frozen peas
  • 1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts (about 8 oz.)
  • 2 large stalks of organic celery, chopped
  • 1 cup cashews, soaked a few hours
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. marinade from the artichoke heart jar
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. honey, such as Philosophie Green Bee Honey
  • 2 Tbsp. Philosophie Green Dream Vegan Protein and Superfood Powder
  • sea salt, to taste

Start by chopping your sweet potatoes into cubes of equal size. I prefer mine to be on the larger size, but that's my personal preference. I also like to leave the skin on my potatoes, but feel free to peel yours, if you want.

Add your cubed sweet potato to a steamer and steam until fork-tender. I recommend stirring occasionally, so the potatoes cook evenly. Mine took about 12 minutes. Then, add the frozen peas and steam for 2 more minutes. Put the cooked sweet potatoes and peas in a large bowl, and add the celery and drained artichoke hearts, making sure to reserve 2 Tbsp. of the artichoke marinade for the cashew mayo.

To make the cashew mayo, combine the soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, raw apple cider vinegar, reserved artichoke heart marinade, Dijon mustard, honey and sea salt in a high-speed blender.

Blend until smooth, so it looks and tastes like mayo.

Next, add the Green Dream powder and more sea salt, to taste, if desired.

Blend until incorporated. Then, pour your Green Dream mayo into your bowl of potatoes and other veggies. Make sure you don't add it all at once, as it may be more than you need. Stir to coat your potatoes and other vegetables; then add more based on your preference and size of your sweet potatoes. For example, I used about half of the mayo and saved the rest for another salad, etc.

Chill your Green Dream Sweet Potato Salad until ready to serve (it isn't the prettiest salad, much like ambrosia salad, so it's nice to garnish it with some celery leaves and more peas). It tastes best when made ahead, so I made it today in preparation for St. Patrick's Day.

*As I mentioned before, I purchased these Philosophie products myself. You can find links to my other Philosophie recipes in my last post.